Summer is a time for glorious sunshine and beautiful warm evenings. In South Africa we love to spend our days and nights outside with friends and family, and who can say ‘no’ to amazing rooftop parties in the Johannesburg City centre? No matter where you’re based, you should consider hosting an outdoor party at least once. If you think it’s too much work, let us show you how it’s done!
- Make it easy – a garden setup in a picnic style is the most fun and simple way of seating. Provide enough cushions to shield your guests’ derrieres from the hard floor.
- A few picnic blankets in riots of summer colours will add a dash of fun to the evening.
- Bugs are a problem in summer. Citronella candles and bug spray are a must.
- Utilise fairy lights to add a bit of class, and fun to the event.
- Instead of the usual flowers, try runners made of greenery and candles.
- Create two cocktails type drinks or punch – depending on your crowd one alcoholic and one non-alcoholic beverage will do. Prepare large quantities and lots of ice.
- Finger foods are easy to prepare and easy to eat. Provide individually packaged hand wipes or bowls with lemon for your guests to dip their hands.
- If your party is not a formal affair, try disposable dinnerware. Conventional paper plates have come a long way since we were children. Your guests won’t miss your fine china and you won’t have to wash the dishes!
- Add colour and beauty to your tablescape by using glassware or crystal in a variety of summer colours.
- Seasonal fruit makes for the perfect dessert. Your guests will most likely be more thirsty than hungry and a fresh slice of watermelon is guaranteed to keep everyone happy and hydrated.
- Utilise the services of an event planner to pull it all together. You’d be amazed how minor details can make your event pop.
- Ask your guests to bring their best summer dish as a contribution to the evening.
- Create a kiddies picnic or play area. Add lots of blankets, cushions, a tepee tent or a toy box.
Looking for more ideas for your outdoor party? Take a look at our INSTAGRAM account and enjoy your summer.